Frequently Asked Questions

What will it cost me to hire your firm to represent me?

There are generally two types of fee arrangements:

Contingent/Percentage Fee – There is no fee unless there is a recovery in your case.  This is the usual agreement in cases involving personal injuries and wrongful death cases, and represents the agreement in almost all cases handled in our office.  In addition, all costs of filing, investigating and managing your case, including compensation of expert witnesses, will be advanced by our firm and are repaid out of the proceeds of your settlement or verdict, without interest.

Hourly Fee – In the rare situation where the injured person has the means to do so, we are, of course, prepared to bill for our services on an hourly-fee-plus-costs basis.

All fees will be explained to you during the initial no-charge meeting.  No fees will be charged until agreed upon by you in advance.  A written fee agreement will memorialize the terms.

Back to top

How long after my incident do I have to file my claims without losing my right to recover?

The vast majority of negligence cases have a two-year statute of limitations.  Therefore, you must file any claim(s) that you may have within two years of the date it arose, or your right to do so will be forever lost.

However, there are exceptions to the above rules.  For example, there is a one-year statute of limitations on libel and slander cases.  Additionally, some claims require notice to be given to the defendant within six months or the case will be dismissed, even if filed within the statute of limitations.  Professional negligence cases require thorough investigation and a certificate from an expert that the case is meritorious before it can be filed.  Evidence can be lost or destroyed if the case is not timely investigated.  For all of these reasons a prompt review of a potential case is always best.

There are certain exceptions that allow a case to be filed later, such as when a minor is the plaintiff or when a medical mistake cannot be discovered until more than two years after the negligent act, despite reasonable diligence.  Don’t hesitate to call to see if your case can still be filed.

Back to top

What should I do if an insurance company has contacted me to settle my personal injury or workers compensation claim?

We do not recommend settling an insurance claim unless you get legal advice first.  We do not charge for a consultation to discuss a case, and there is no obligation to hire us.  You may have legal rights that you don’t know about, and you may inadvertently give them up if you agree to a settlement without first discussing your case with a lawyer.  Mark’s experience allows him to competently advise you if the offer is within a fair range.  Do not hesitate to contact Mark to review your claim and learn about your legal rights.  Mark will be able to answer any other questions you may have at that time.

Back to top

What are your office hours?

Our office is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 5:30 p.m.  Our phones answer 24 hours a day.

If you are unable to travel to our office, Mark is available to make hospital or house calls.

Back to top

Contact us today if you have been injured

The law office of The Homyak Law Firm, P.C. is located in the Gulf Tower in downtown Pittsburgh on the corner of Grant Street and 7th Avenue, catty-corner to the U.S. Steel Tower.  The entrance to the building is located on 7th Avenue, and, of course, is wheelchair accessible.  If injury or illness prevents you from traveling to our office, we are available for appointments in your home or hospital.

The Homyak Law Firm, P.C.  represents clients in and around Allegheny, Erie, Lawrence, Beaver, Fayette, Westmoreland and Washington counties.

Call The Homyak Law Firm, P.C. at 412.391.6636 or contact the law firm online to schedule your free initial consultation.