The following is a list of cases handled by the firm and their results.
1. $10,450,000.00 confidential settlement for 37 year old permanently brain injured man.
2. $7,000,000.00+ confidential settlement for seriously injured worker and his wife.
3. $4,375,000.00 confidential settlement.
4. $4,300,000.00 premises liability/liquor liability verdict obtained, held on appeal and collected for 25 year old man w ho was rendered a quadriplegic when he was pushed into and over a poorly maintained wall surrounding a stairway landing by an intoxicated patron of a bar located in the building. Trude v. Martin, et al., 660 A.2d 626 (Pa. Super. 1995).
5. $3,700,000.00 liability and underinsured motorist (UIM) insurance settlements obtained for a 51 year old man sustaining fractures of both arms and both legs, and a below the knee amputation of one of his legs, as the result of a crossover head-on collision.
6. $1,000,000.00 judgments each obtained for two young girls against bar that overserved and then threw out severely intoxicated patrons. The girls were injured and witnessed their Mother’s death as the result of the ensuing head on vehicle collision. Superior Court affirmed that the bar’s insurer wrongfully denied a defense to the bar. Penn-America v. Peccadillos, 27 A.3d 259 (Pa. Super. 2011).
7. $1,500,000.00 settlement obtained for a worker suffering a head injury, torn rotator cuff shoulder injury, rib and spinal fractures, and exacerbation of pre-existing degenerative spinal disc disease as the result of a fall at the factory where he was supervisor, due to the failure of an independent contractor retained for plant maintenance to have properly reconnected a removable railing.
8. $1,500,000.00 verdict, plus delay damages, obtained for an incapacitated brain injured patient with pre-existing schizophrenia. The Defendant attending anesthesiologist left the operating room during a significant portion of the complicated surgical procedure, including during the key portion when the patient was emerging from anesthesia, resulting in the Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist prematurely removing the endotracheal tube, causing respiratory and cardiac arrest, and resultant permanent severe brain injury due to lack of oxygen before the patient was eventually resuscitated. Woodson v. The Medical Center, et al., No. 10601-2002 in the Court of Common Pleas of Beaver County.
9. $1,250,000.00 inadequate security verdict, plus delay damages, obtained for multiple gunshot victim convenience store clerk. Wojcik v. Handee Marts, et al., No. GD97-2316 in the Court of Common Pleas of Allegheny County.
10. $970,000.00 in settlements obtained from municipality and insurer for drivers of two vehicles that collided at known dangerous intersection, with one of the vehicles striking the pedestrian on the sidewalk, causing severe concussion requiring surgery.
11. $906,212.34, plus delay damages, verdict collected for 56 year old man who sustained serious injuries requiring four surgeries as the result of a fall on a slippery and unattended floor while he was making deliveries as a truck driver to the Hospital’s loading dock. Courthouse staff believe this was the highest verdict for a slip and fall accident case ever rendered by a Beaver County jury. Holland et ux v. Valley Medical Facilities, Inc. t/d/b/a Sewickley Valley Hospital a/k/a Heritage Valley Sewickley, an operating division of Heritage Valley Health System, Inc., No. 12441-2009 in the Court of Common Pleas of Beaver County.
12. Confidential $850,000.00 settlement.
13. Confidential $825,000.00 settlement.
14. $757,273.45 verdict, plus delay damages, collected for the estate and widow of a now deceased patient whose bone cancer was misdiagnosed and inappropriately treated at age 74, resulting in about 1000 days of improperly controlled painful symptoms and the performance of unnecessary and ineffective invasive dental and prostate procedures. Gbur et ux. v. Golio, No. GD03-5415 in the Court of Common Pleas of Allegheny County.
15. $615,000.00 settlement obtained from insurer for drivers, underinsurer and insurer or storage company that lost the allegedly defective airbag, which did not inflate after head-on collision. Driver received significant chest and leg injuries.
16. $555,135.00 verdict collected for 40 year old woman who developed severe heart failure due to her family physician’s failure to order standard blood tests that would have revealed an underlying condition, which, if promptly and appropriately treated, could have avoided the resulting permanent heart damage. Busch-Fish et vir. v. Ruth D. Martin, M.D. et al., No. GD06-26250 in the Court of Common Pleas of Allegheny County.
17. $350,000.00 in policy limits settlements obtained from the other driver’s insurer and UIM carrier for 59 year old woman for multiple fractures sustained in head-on collision, despite her unrelated total disability that preceded the accident.
18. $300,000.00 settlement for 55 year old woman who slipped and fell on water on floor of a restaurant after her meal. The fall caused a previously asymptomatic cyst in her low back to become painful, and the blow to her head caused ongoing dizziness and memory problems.
19. $325,000.00 in settlements obtained from other driver’s insurer and UIM insurer for 54 year old man injured in rear end auto accident, who sustained further injury due to misplacement of a catheter in his penis at the emergency room.
20. $313,276.93 award collected for Estate and heirs of a legally blind and nearly deaf 101 year old woman who was required by the nursing home where she resided to ambulate in her wheelchair to an elevator in order to get to the dining hall. She passed the elevator and inadvertently rolled down a flight of stairs, causing numerous injuries that led to her death.
21. $295,000.00 in near policy limits settlement obtained from liability and UIM insurers for a 75 year old driver of a car “T-boned” in the middle of a four-way intersection by pizza delivery driver, resulting in a dislocated shoulder, broken ribs and crushed lungs. $97,000.00 in settlements were also obtained from the liability and UIM insurers for the wife-passenger, who sustained a torn rotator cuff of her shoulder, dizziness and a brief recurrence of a pre-existing Bell’s Palsy facial twitch.
22. Near policy limits $270,000.00 settlement for elderly couple where husband-operator of car turned left in front of speeding oncoming car, causing significant injuries to husband and instantaneous death of wife-passenger.